Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Breathing.

When I can't breathe, I tell myself to get through today - just today. And then, when I fear that I won't survive today, I get a phonecall from just the right person, or read just the right sentence. Sometimes, I think surviving life is more about luck - and that little tiny voice of hope... but ultimately, nobody gets out unscathed.

Recently, I read  Eden's most recent post about her experiences in the mental health system. I have been admitted once into a mental health unit  - overnight, after a suicide attempt. I was young, terrified, and very, very out of it. When the next morning came for my 'interview' with the psychologists etc,  I calmly, quietly, talked my way out. Thankfully, I had the arms of my family to run into, but I shudder to think what would have happened if I did not.  Thankfully, now I listen to myself more, and don't let it get to that point - I talk it out, or go for a very long walk with very loud music. It doesn't mean that the idea of suicide has ever left me, or that it ever will, but I have learnt how to manage it better for me...There are awful days, and amazing days and everything in between, but as long as I am alive at the end of them, I have already won. It has taken time, and a lot of hard work, but it is a process. One step at a time, one day a time, and some days, one hour at a time. 

It does get better - cliched, but true. You can find peace with whatever demons are chasing you - but it is a constant process and negotiation. And some days, it is ok to feel that you can't negotiate,   but make sure that you get right back it tomorrow. 


I'm quirky, silly, blunt, and broken. 
My days are sometimes too dark, and my nights are sometimes too long. 
I often trip over my own insecurities. 
I require attention, long for passion, and wish to be desired. 
I use music to speak when words fail me, even though words are as important to me as the air that I breathe. 
I love hard and with all I have... 
And even with all my faults, I am worth loving.
- Danu Grayson -



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this and I just had to copy this quote. I will put it up on my mirror.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts!